Saturday, December 11, 2004

Yule is the Rule

Tome to celebrate the holidays





Passes on from breebop is a wonderfull idea for a Christmas party / drinking game. Spirits optional (seasonal spirit mandatory)

"My buddy Jason and I are having a lit geek gift exchange/drinking game party next weekend. We just came up with the idea today. Here's how it goes:

Each invitee brings a wrapped book that must have come either from his or her own library or from a used book store. If bought from a secondhand store it must have cost less than $10.

The prezzies go in a pile.

We spin a bottle or draw names out of a hat or something to pick who goes when, and then take turns either picking a mystery book from the pile or stealing someone else's book.

If your book is stolen, you get to take a shot of a yummy liqueur to dull the pain of your loss (any suggestions from the peanut gallery?). If you are evil and steal a book -- covetous knave! heartless bandit! -- you have to take a shot of something punishing (Fireball whisky maybe?).

On it goes until the last wrapped gift is opened.

The hope is that everyone will bring good books, which will hopefully stimulate discussions about authors and spark suggestions for must-reads.

If a bunch of guests want to read the same book, I'm thinking we'll suggest people let others write their names and phone numbers in the front cover, and when the new owner of the book finishes reading it he or she can pass it on to the next name on the list. That way not only do we each get a new book, we also get to read other people's books."

Hey you in Kansas! Yeah I know your reading. Find a book and do it! ( Vote Democrat to while I'm at it. Eh?)

5 Comments:

Blogger Paul said...

William, good sir... kindly review the last sentences of this lovely post, and see how much grievous grammatical and specious spelling you can find. You'd not let me off so lightly, I'm sure.

10:46 PM  
Blogger Bree said...

All part of his nefarious plan to eke some measure of comment from his word nerd friends. See his first post: "There was the WORD, and it needed some work. So don't come crying to me if you can't get past the typos or spelling mistakes because I will probably gloss over your criticism with an air of annoyance and superiority."

Cue the annoyance and superiority.

Here's my point of annoyance: you both need to update more often! C'mon guys, wouldja post already? For Will I promise a combative comment in response to whatever you post about since you seek argument (is that *really* the whole point?). For Paul, fawning admiration since we all know that's what you're looking for. Merry Jollyfatmanday to the both of you.

6:47 PM  
Blogger Bree said...

Oh and thanks for the plug. Paul should host a mirror lit geek party in Botswana.

6:48 PM  
Blogger Paul said...

Can't do the book thing here... even the cheap paperbacks cost upwards of $25 Cdn. And I AM posting, whenever I have tolerable web access. Meanie.

10:56 PM  
Blogger Bree said...

Silly Paul. The whole point is to pass on books you already own or that have been otherwise previously loved. I'm sure you'll buy and read at least one book that you'd be willing to pass on at some point during your trip.

I'm almost finished The Years of Rice and Salt by the way. I have the distinct feeling I'll appreciate it better if I read it again later, especially if I learn a little more about Islam between readings ...

12:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home